You know St. Lucia, the vast majority of people ask how do I lose weight. Most web sites cater solely to these individuals. This week, St. Lucia Sports Online will focus on that population of individuals who actually want to gain weight. As a company we want to ensure that we do everything the safe way, so continue to check with your doctors for advice as you attempt to get that perfect body. Of Course, Bon Sante has the best doctors on island for your every needs…go check them Out!! In the mean time, check this article out, suggested by HTS’s very own Jeana Phillipe. J.P to the world!!
How to Gain Weight The Healthy Way
If you want to gain weight, then it is very important that you do it right.
Binging on soda and donuts may help you gain weight, but it can destroy your health at the same time.
If you are underweight, then you want to gain a balanced amount of muscle mass and subcutaneous fat, not a bunch of unhealthy belly fat.
There are plenty of normal weight people who get type 2 diabetes, heart disease and other health problems often associated with obesity.
Now let’s look at several effective ways to gain weight fast, without ruining your health at the same time.
Eat More Calories Than Your Body Burns
The most important thing you can do to gain weight is to eat more calories than your body needs.
A caloric surplus (calories in > calories out) is needed. Without it, you won’t gain. Period.
You can determine your calorie needs using thiscalorie calculator.
If you want to gain weight slowly and steadily, then aim for 300-500 calories more than you burn each day according to the calculator.
If you want to gain weight fast, then aim for something like 700-1000 calories above your maintenance level.
Keep in mind that calorie calculators only provide estimates. Your needs may vary by several hundred calories per day, give or take.
You don’t need to count calories for the rest of your life, but it helps to do it for the first few days/weeks to get a feel for how many calories you are eating.
Bottom Line: You need to eat more calories than your body burns in order to gain weight. Aim for 300-500 calories per day above your maintenance level, or 700-1000 calories if you want to gain weight fast.
Eat Lots of Protein
The single most important nutrient for gaining healthy weight is protein.
Muscle is made of protein, and without it most of those extra calories may end up as body fat.
Studies show that during periods of overfeeding, a high protein diet causes many of the extra calories to be turned into muscle.
However, keep in mind that protein is a double-edged sword. It is also highly filling, so that it can reduce your hunger and appetite significantly. This can make it harder to get in enough calories.
If you’re trying to gain weight, aim for 0.7-1 grams of protein per pound of body weight (1.5 – 2.2 grams of protein per kilogram). You can even go above that if your calorie intake is very high.
High-protein foods include meats, fish, eggs, many dairy products, legumes, nuts and others. Protein supplements like whey protein can also be useful if you struggle to get enough protein in your diet.
Bottom Line: Protein forms the building blocks of your muscles. Eating sufficient protein is required to gain muscle weight instead of just fat.
Eat Lots of Carbs and Fat, and Eat at Least 3 Times Per Day
This is a bad idea if your goal is to gain weight, because it will make it harder to get in enough calories.
Eat plenty of high-carb and high-fat foods if weight gain is a priority for you. It is best to eat plenty of protein, fat and carbs at each meal.
It is also a bad idea to do intermittent fasting. This is useful for weight loss and health improvement, but can make it much harder to eat enough calories to gain weight.
Make sure to eat at least 3 meals per day, and try to add in energy-dense snacks whenever possible.
Bottom Line: In order to gain weight, eat at least 3 meals per day and make sure to eat plenty of fat, carbs and protein.
Eat a Lot of Energy-Dense Foods and use Sauces, Spices and Condiments
Again, it is very important to eat mostly whole, single ingredient foods.
The problem is that these foods tend to be more filling than processed junk foods, making it harder to get in enough calories.
Using plenty of spices, sauces and condiments can help with this. The tastier your food is, the easier it is to eat a lot of it.
Also, try to emphasize energy-dense foods as much as possible. These are foods that contain many calories relative to their weight.
Here are some energy-dense foods that are perfect for gaining weight:
- Nuts:Almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, etc.
- Dried fruit:Raisins, dates, prunes and others.
- High-fat dairy:Whole milk, full-fat yogurt, cheese, cream.
- Fats and Oils:Extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil.
- Grains:Whole grains like oats and brown rice.
- Meat:Chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc. Choose fattier cuts.
- Tubers:Potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams.
- Dark chocolate, avocados, peanut butter, coconut milk, granola, trail mixes.
10 More Tips to Gain Weight
Combining a high calorie intake with heavy strength training are the two most important factors.
That being said, there are several more things you can do to gain weight even faster.
Here are 10 more tips to gain weight:
- Don’t drink water before meals.This can fill your stomach and make it harder to get in enough calories.
- Eat more often.Squeeze in an additional meal or snack whenever you can, such as before bed.
- Drink milk.Drinking whole milk to quench thirst is a simple way to get in more high-quality protein and calories.
- Try weight gainer shakes.If you are really struggling then you can try weight gainer shakes. These are very high in protein, carbs and calories.
- Use bigger plates.Definitely use large plates if you are trying to get in more calories, as smaller plates cause people to automatically eat less.
- Add cream to your coffee.This is a simple way to add in more calories.
- Take creatine.The muscle building supplement creatine monohydrate can help you gain a few pounds in muscle weight.
- Get quality sleep.Sleeping properly is very important for muscle growth.
- Eat your protein first and vegetables last.If you have a mix of foods on your plate, eat the calorie-dense and protein-rich foods first. Eat the vegetables last.
- Don’t smoke.Smokers tend to weigh less than non-smokers, and quitting smoking often leads to weight gain.
Bottom Line: There are several other things you can do to gain weight even faster. These include drinking milk, using weight gainer shakes, adding cream to your coffee and eating more often.