Crystal Palace were already considering replacing manager Frank de Boer two weeks before he was sacked. De boer, 47 met with Palace chairman Steve Parish and sporting director on Monday 28th August 2017.Parish and Freedman left that meeting very underwhelmed and with no confidence that the Dutchman was the right man to turn around Palace’s fortunes.They made contact with former England manager Roy Hodgson and other potential replacements about their availability that week – but the Club’s focus turned to player recruitment at the end of the transfer window.
Among the reasons for Palace’s dissatisfaction were
- De Boer’s apparent diversion from a number of agreements reached when he signed, such as the team’s formation
- The squad’s struggles to adapt to the style of play he tried to implement
- Poor feedback on planning, methods and sessions.
- Atmoshere at the training ground.
- His use of, and relationship with certain players, such as Damien Delaney, Martin Kelly, Joel Ward. Jairo Riedewald and Lee Chung yong.
- A perceived lack of input on transfer activity.
On the other hand De Boer is understood to have been unhappy with factors which included
- The pre – season schedule organized before his arrival
- The involvement of Parish in first team matters.
- The delay in signing defender Mamadou Sakho